Saturday, November 1, 2008

A Green Thumb

The past few weeks I've been going outside when I can to clean up the yard and to get it ready for winter. This past year I haven't been able to spend as much time working in the flowerbeds (it got kind of hard in the last trimester of my pregnancy). So, I was kind of sad to be pulling out all my hard work, but also relieved to get rid of all the dead stuff.
Whenever I spend time working out in the yard, I always think of my sweet, wonderful mother who has the best green-thumb I know! The flowers in her yard are always gorgeous. I know she always spends a lot of time planting, weeding and watering/feeding them. Then there is my dad. I have never seen a greener, weed-free yard than his. He, too, spends a lot of time making it look luscious. So, with that combination, my parents always have a beautiful looking yard, even though they are quick to point out the dead spots and weeds (and believe me, there are usually none). It really is no wonder why I wanted to have our wedding reception there.
So, back to the green thumb...yesterday I collected all of the houseplants to water and feed. I don't have many, but I try to have a few live plants in the house (I'm not a fan of the fake stuff, although I do have some fake flowers and autumn leaves right now). Again, I thought of my parents and the huge, massive plants they have in their house. There is just something about having a living thing (besides your kids) that you take care of in your home.
Now, I realize my parents didn't just pick this "green-thumb" knowledge up along the way (although I know you can gain a lot from experience). They both grew up in homes that had just as beautiful yards as they have now. Both sets of grandparents all have beautiful yards and flower beds. Even at their age. I wish I could say that I have the same green-thumb because it's in the genes, but let's face it, I don't. I am always calling up my parents to ask them questions about plants, flowers, grass, etc. Maybe one day I'll get it figured out.
So, my point is this, I have always found joy in the beauty of flowers, grass and plants. I love to see the beauty of the earth displayed around a house. It just makes a home inviting.

(This picture is from our wedding and the best one I could find of my parents backyard. Several years later, it looks even better.)

No comments: